I studied Arabic, Philosophy and Linguistics at the University of Oslo (Norway), where I received my M. A. degree in linguistics in 2006. My M. A. thesis was a descriptive work on the Äiwoo language based on own data collected in the field in the southeastern Solomon Islands, as part of the interdisciplinary research project Identity Matters: Movement and Place, funded by The Research Council of Norway. I was lucky to be able to continue to work on another language of the Solomon Islands for my Ph. D. at Radboud University in Nijmegen (The Netherlands), starting in 2007. My Ph. D. dissertation is a description of Ughele, a language of the northwestern Solomon Islands, part of the research projects Reconstructing Prehistoric Language Contact in the Solomon Islands and Languages in Contact, funded by The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. Other than research, I have worked with speech synthesis and automatic speech recognition software for Nuance Communications International (Belgium), first as a text-to-speech developer in 2006 and later as a linguistic engineer in 2011-2012.
03. 2007 – 01. 2013. Ph. D. in Linguistics, dissertation entitled A Grammar of Ughele, part of the Vidi project Reconstructing prehistoric language contact in the Solomon Islands, funded by The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). Institute of Linguistics, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
08. 2003 – 05. 2006 M. A. in Linguistics, thesis entitled Syntactic and Semantic Aspects of Some Verbs of Motion and Location in Äiwoo, part of the multidisciplinary project Identity Matters – Movement and Place, funded by The Research Council og Norway (NFR). Institute of Linguistic and Nordic Studies, Faculty of Humanities, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
08. 1998 – 06. 2003 Candidatus Magisterii (equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree) in Linguistics, Arabic and Philosophy. Faculty of Humanities, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
08. 1995 – 05. 1998 Askim High School, Askim, Norway
02. 2011 – Current. Visiting reasearcher in linguistics. Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
02. 2011 – 08. 2012. Linguistic Engineer, creating and maintaining lexica and artificial grammars for automatic speech recognition software. Dragon Research, Nuance Communications International, Merelbeke, Belgium.
05. 2007 – 02. 2011. Ph. D. Fellow in descriptive linguistics, gathering and analyzing data for, and writing a grammar of the previously undescribed Oceanic language Ughele, spoken on Rendova Island, Western Province, Solomon Islands. The thesis covers phonology, morphosyntax, pragmatics, discourse structure, and a word list. It is part of the research project Reconstructing prehistoric language contact in the Solomon Islands funded by The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). Centre for Language Studies, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
02. 2007 – 03. 2007. Research Assistant, planning a descriptive project in the Solomon
Islands. Institute of Linguistics and Nordic Studies, University of Oslo, Faculty of Humanities, Oslo, Norway
08. 2006 – 12. 2006. Text-to-Speech Developer, contract work building and tuning the corpus-based Norwegian TTS-voice, Stine. Nuance Communications International, Merelbeke, Belgium
Norwegian (mother tongue), English (fluent), Solomon Island’s Pijin (good), Modern Standard and Syrian Arabic (basic), French (basic), and Dutch (basic).